[foodhackingbase] future possibilities and directions for food hacking base

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck algoldor at foodhackingbase.org
Sun Mar 1 12:48:00 CET 2015

Hi to all,
apologies for the delay, comments in the text as ###

On 2015-02-22 16:54, Kai Du wrote:
> Hi Frantisek and all,
>
> thank you and/or sorry for having this discussion started.

### happy to have the discussion at least, at least on my side

Fact is,
> that I am really excited being involved with the FHB for several
> reasons: First is, I am trying to come to the chaos communication camp
> in summer. My first C3-event. I really look forward to meet some of
> you FHB folks and some podcast community members.

### CCC camp should be a great gate how to "enter in person" the
international hacker community.

> I cook for almost all my life and invent recipes for quite a while
> now. If there was a chance to get a financial model to work for paid
> members of the FHB I would be interested, too. My job situation
> changes rapidly in summer and I always dreamt of working with food for
> money. Though I am aware of the fact, that nobody (except alex) met me
> before of the existing crew and maybe a lot of core members would be
> interested in a job too.

### Most of the people involved at fhb are professionals in other fields
and taking food&drink activities more as an hobby and I think in general
they are happy to keep it like that. I think "job" from a traditional
point of view is not what we will end up at the end of the day (if we
end up with something :-)), but we will see. If you want to do stuff
around food as your main activity, than you should give it at least good
try otherwise you would probably regret that you did not.

> I´ve got a lot of interesting projects in
> stasis because of job/money reasons. Talking about projects: I
> recently created a book about lifehacks and I am planning a sequel
> about food hacks. I am interested in any kind of definition or
> suggestion you guys could make. Feel free to contact me via this list
> or directly (kai at hobbykoch-podcast dot de) I am looking for the
> funny kind of food hack, the one-picture-short-explanation-wow ones. I
> see the food hacking community here is more based on technological
> inventions and/or fermentation projects (which is fascinating, too),
> but hey.

### If you have Facebook presence check the Food Hacking Base group
there, people tent to share quite few funny or interesting hack there,
however most of the time we borrow not create. That should change and we
could think about something for your publication. Lets keep it in mind
and maybe you could poke the list about that in week or two. Do you have
some examples for your book already? We could put few nice funny ones on
our wiki.

> Returning to Frantiseks question about finance I think the
> crowdfunding idea is really nice. I read, there was a successfull
> funding of the recent C3-activities. So there is a proof of concept
> this could work.

### The crowdsroucing funding is one of the ways how to get resources,
attention and followers. Our campaigns generally succeed, but we need to
rethink them, shape them better and be much better in running/promoting
when they are opened. Till this day I think that our first one for
OHM2013 was the best managed - of course many thanks for help with the
other ones to everyone who got into it, however that is my feel.

> I guess, there is something that needs to be offered
> in return to make the quite larger budget for paying people a loan
> realistic. I wondered, if a audio/video podcast about food hacking
> could be a decent teaser for a successfull project. I would apply for
> head of production, coordinating recordings and editing of audio/video
> stuff around the world. I´ve got some experiance in that. This could
> be the step from few events on C3 meetings to a larger scale and
> promotion for a larger community, too.

### I think that good audio/video podcast would be very good achievement
from variety of reasons. I would suggest to talk about this separately
and consider doing something smaller, shorter already before CCC camp,
we have plenty of things to catch up. For me for example series about
fermentations would be lovely.

> Excuse me, I may be completely wrong suggesting this. This community
> may stay a forum, in which ideas are exchanged and financial aspects
> are secondary. I would love to do a lot of food hacking, this way or
> other. Please share your thoughts.

### Thanks for the tips, I'll react on the other emails soon. I
personally consider financial aspects secondary, however maybe it is
time to rethink it a bit :-)

> Greetings,
> Kai

### As a summary, lets poke the list about some nice food hack for you
publication and if you have something we could use it for the our fhb
wiki, concerning the podcast we should talk about that as a separate
topic, I'm definitely interested on my side to do something as an
experiment already before CCC camp.

### Talk to you soon,

### Frantisek