[foodhackingbase] FHB/Easterhegg

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck algoldor at foodhackingbase.org
Sat Apr 18 12:20:12 CEST 2015

Hi to all,
apologies for delay, answers in the text as ### as stated previously
they are recommendations and suggestions.

On 2015-04-13 05:24, Cooking Roffa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As promised a little wrap up of what was talked about on Easterhegg
> regarding FHB. Pretty tired atm so I hope you forgive me if I forgot
> something :-) please add where needed.
>
> We didn't really have a meeting but some informal discussions about
> several topics with several people while enjoying the event :-). Of
> course everything is still open for discussion.
> I will write up in a few lines per topic what we talked about.
>
> * FHB activities on the next camp
> the basic idea would be to focus on doing a community kitchen (to a
> certain extent, see also 'the way we work') and workshop/tasting
> activities.
> by focusing on a few 'main things' fhb might be better to handle for
> our small orga
> we expect there will be enough food elsewhere on camp for 'feeding the
> masses'.

### We have had around 20-30 people feeding capacity at OHM2013 done in
a comfortable way I would say. If we think that it is enough for us for
CCC camp in the summer, no major changes has to be done concerning our
equipment and infrastructure I would say. Workshop, tasting and
experimental activities seem to be more and more desired and hard to
satisfy at the events, would be nice to continue to build that platforms
up, that is at least case for me.

> * 'the way we work'
> for people who want to join the fhb activities or use the community
> kitchen it might be good to put together a simple description of "the
> way we work"
> think of things like "when using the community kitchen it would be
> appreciated if you make twice the food you need"
> a way to go to put this together might be setting up a pad for it
> where we can work on that together
> we could put that on our wiki and we can also put that up on the
> campsite for people to read

### Good idea, having a final info on the wiki should be the goal. Also
I would add a greeting a new fallow who wants to get involved in person
if possible and giving her/him a tour around the fhb. It is a bit time
consuming but it works great.

> * 'person to talk to'
> it might be an idea to make shifts for the 'person to talk to'
> this would be the person overseeing for a certain shift of the day
> what is going on in the FHB. people who want to do activities in the
> FHB can ask this person.
> this way everyone gets to enjoy other things on the camp also.
> the 'person to talk to' would be wearing something that makes it clear
> that he/she is coordinating stuff at the moment.
> this person will be coordinating which means not doing stuff
> themselves during their shift!!

### Vote yes for this on. I would just note that the person should not
sign for any shift during the period of being the person to talk to,
however I would expect that he/she will be involved in variety of
activities but it should be all in the category of "easy to put aside or
delegate". Still sometimes however people may wait for their turn to
talk to this  hub we should keep that in mind. I will be happy to take a
shift on this as I have done before, 4-6 hour shifts may by reasonable?

> * location
> as for the location we thought it might be a good idea to follow
> Milliways (see also 'possibilites for sharing the kitchen with
> Milliways'). mc.fly will propose several options to the Milliways
> people. as soon as he proposed the several options he would also like
> to have the fhb input for that.

### I'm personally for independent fhb concerning it's functionality,
where we are located is secondary for me. I do not have any special
reason for not being located next to Milliways so leaving this one on
the others, will add few pros and cons below. I can imagine two
cooperating but independent units next too each other quite easily.

> * possibilities for sharing the kitchen with Milliways
> mc.fly also suggested that we might share some of the kitchen stuff
> like the oven. he needs to talk about this with the milliways cook
> though.
> the idea would be to put the shared stuff in the middle (an isle) and
> each have our own area around that. the areas would then be the
> Milliways area, the FHB community kitchen area, and the FHB
> workshop/tasting area. if this is something we and Milliways would
> like to do then we will also have to think about how we can coordinate
> the use of the shared kitchen stuff.

### If we are next to each other sharing the stuff especially main
installation like running water, drainage, high voltage electricity and
for example walking in cold room would be very handy (note - still I
would suggest two separate washing areas, there is never enough of
these). Using other stuff like movable stoves, ovens, some other
equipment would be handy but not major, we would however have to
remember which stuff is theirs and which one is ours - to the degree.

### My worry would be about the noise during the day and early evening
when we run the workshops especially. As far as I remember we for
example did not play music too much because it would disturb the audio
of the speaker. I would assume that around 22:00 our
"educational/talking" program is finished mostly and we are done for the
day as fhb so after that it doesn't matter noisy or not. I've never
spend too much time at Milliways (I would love to but too busy) so I do
not know how are they during the day. Another minus would be for the
people in general - if we are located next to each other than we
concentrate the food hubs in one spot which is more easy for us because
of sharing infrastructure but in a way it is a step towards
centralization and the other parts of the camp would be bit less food
friendly. On the other hand, we are not community kitchen and at OHM2013
within day or two we were too crowded with people who wanted to cook.

> * possibilites for FHB logo
> there might be a possibility that someone from milliways wants to help
> us by designing a logo. if that sounds like a nice idea i will ask and
> get back to you all on that.

### We have a logo, both the simple and more catchy version, Daan has
both of them I believe, if he doesn't find them I will and share them
somehow - what would be best way? Than we can see if someone wants to
improve it. Completely new version is possible too but we should
consider if it is necessary.

> So I think that's about it.... please let me hear your thoughts!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lotte

### Done my bit. I'm happy I can get involved both with the preparations
and running the event on the ground for the camp, as noted before still
I am thinking about skipping 32c3 if the fhb would be present there so I
could take off for one year. I'll aim to pick up our stuff in my parents
place so we can use our gear at the camp as at the events before.

### Sincerely,

### Frantiske