[Foodhacking_at_camp] structure of the food hacking base, workshops etc.

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 21:06:24 CEST 2011

Hi to All!
So first I'll try to answer the questions and suggestions in mArc and Magstina
emails, proposing some ideas.

The Sushi workshop is a great idea.  I'd like to see various types of sushi in
the buffet section on daily basis for the duration of the camp. We will have to
synchronize the ingredients needed for Sushi so we have appropriate amounts, we
will have to plan on that in a few weeks time. I think that best would be create
a wiki link from the food hacking base project

http://events.ccc.de/camp/2011/wiki/Food_Hacking_Base

and have it maybe here?

http://events.ccc.de/camp/2011/wiki/Sushi

So we can take it as sushi workshops so there would be for example every day a
class on sushi, people could come and learn how to do it, have certainly some
samplings and the product would be used for the catering of Hackers on the
plane, therefore it will be covered by the budget. Different people could do
different types of sushi, under of supervision of experienced people like mArc
and of course also experimented, trying to find new ways and combinations.
Please think about that and if mArc would be OK with that, I would propose him
being “keyperson” for the sushi group of the base. In this way we would have
quite a bit of freedom and still someone knowing in what stage we are on sushi,
so I can coordinate shoppings, available place for the workshops etc. more
easily. What do you think? I've created link to the sushi project (above) so
please take it from here on.

Now to Magstina email,

>>i'd just like to ask how exactly is Food Hacking Base going to work. Are people
>>going to cook and sell their food? Or is it free? Are there particular meals to
>>be prepared or is it like a lab where random food projects happen?

How exactly the Food Hacking Base is going to work is still being discussed and
it will probably never end, we do not have any firm structure.

What we know and what we have is this:

- funds received from payments of members of Hackers on the Plane project +
others, totaling about 2400 EU at this moment, dedicated to the food and
beverages which are going to be served for them on daily bases for whole length
of the camp in a buffet style environment 24/7 (part of it vegan friendly).
There should be at least 40 people in the group, several guests every day (up to
10 maybe) and there will be an open party day/night on 11/9/2011 for whole
camp. So they give us money to feed them.

- place and equipment - Hackers on the plane are founding a Neighbor village.
Part of this village is going to be the Food Hacking Base and their devoted
another sum of money to build this up. I'm putting together a plan/design of the
kitchen and surrounding hacking areas, with list of equipment and everything
else what is necessary included.

- people who prepare the food and beverages and keep the place running –  that
is us :-))
- well one of them is me Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck. I've good experience of
cooking and brewing at both small and big events. The others has to be found.
The best would be to play on our strong points and prepare meals and beverages
which we already know so we have people fed properly. There will be certainly
place for experimental cooking (and brewing :-)), however it would be nice to
take it really as a projects which will be funded rather than just “trying” and
wasting resources. It seems to me that preparing part of the food during the
classes and workshops would be great because people would learn, they can
immediately do it, taste it and serve it.

Part of the food will be prepared on a scheduled mode and cooked in a planned
way in the core (core kitchen) because we need some structure making sure that
we have always decent amount of food and drinks served. It would be cool to have
several people who would help during the camp from time to time with planning
what to cook, think of ingredients, amount of time and type of equipment needed
and getting help from other people who would like to learn or just spend some
nice time in the base but not to get “too involved” being happy to join and eat
afterwards (and during I'm sure :-)).

- volunteering – Everybody is welcomed to join existing projects or create their
own, post it, discuss it and I'll do my best to help to make them happen. I'm
responsible for meeting the budget and having the things going “smoothly”. The
question for me now is how to reward people who are going to help with all of
that cooking, cleaning, serving etc. I'm thinking around the lines of - if
someone is helping for several hours, lets say for example 3 hours of work, he
or she should have access to the buffet to eat afterwards to get nicely full
after all the work. In that way if someone is around for a day of cooking,
he/she can eat and drink whole day long, I'll be happy that there is enough
hands on the deck and feel good that there is a reward for them. Please do not
forget that I've to consider both sides. One (Hackers on the plane) are giving
their money to build up the place up and to stock it and we are going to work it
out to the delicious meals and beverages. We should appreciate that we have free
ingredients and place where to play and they will hopefully agree with a
suggestion that certain number of people who make this happen will have
food&beverages covered from the budget. We will have to work on this one bit
more but I believe that it can be done in this way. There is always an option of
creating another fund where we can put money which would add to the ingredients
making sure that the volunteers have free food and drink too. Do not forget that
anyone can sing for the catering with us for the same price as the Hackers on
the Plane– 10 EU = access to the buffet whole day long, eat whatever you want as
much as you want but finish what you put on the plate please, no wasting!

OK so now I believe we have what to talk about. Whoever wants to make workshop
and lead classes please post the projects to the discussion list. Workshops and
classes will produce part of our catering outputs, people who have experience
will lead them and there will be sampling. People who are involved for several
hours with the food&beverage production should have free meal later on and there
is the option for anyone to participate for 10 EU eat as much you want of what
ever you want per day.

So please think of it and post your opinions, create sub wiki etc. I'll be
further working on the 3D model of kitchen which I did not do yet.

Sincerely,

Frantisek