[Finance] Introductions?

seeblind at hackerconsortium.com seeblind at hackerconsortium.com
Thu Jul 15 04:47:50 CEST 2010

Hail hail all Hackerspacers,

I'm Gabriel a.k.a Seeblind from the Hacker Consortium in Nashville, TN.
As SkyDog said earlier I am the interim Treasurer and VP.  We were
inspired by the Chaos Computer Club Cologne (C4) paper that came out a few
years ago and have spent many hours planning and organizing.  Our space
has been up and running for 3 years now but it only seems like 1.  It has
been a trial but anything worth doing is never easy.  We have lots of
wood, metal, and electronic tools.  My current "large" project is putting
together a Makerbot.  The next big spend will be CNC mill or lazorsaur.
We were initially a pretty closed shop for awhile but recently have
started opening up to local robotics and electronics groups.  That has
started to bolster our ranks and diversify the skills that are brought to
the workbench.

As far as legal and financial setup we are a mutually beneficial
non-profit.  When we were 10 guys and not sure if the venture would fold
we choose this option to guarantee that we could all reclaim our stuff if
it went south.  As mentioned before we are still kicking after three years
and look forward to many more.  Our fee structure includes a sign on fee
of $100 for setup and a $40/month dues fee.  We wanted to price ourselves
close to a gym membership to be affordable.  After several starts,
fumbles, and restarts we decided to use a donated copy of Quickbooks for
our accounting package.  We got some flack from our FOSS zealots but in
the end it has been worth it.  The setup was quick (no pun intended), we
can report on about anything, and it has support.  Something that is very
nice to have since we want to spend time on projects and fun instead of
tending to the financial systems.  It is not cheap but we estimate that it
saves 1-2 hours of time a month for recordkeeping.

Glad to see this list have some activity.  As we have found legal entity
composition varies from state to state but I look forward to hearing of
any pitfalls or wins we can learn from.  In the spirit of hackerspace
community, if you guys ever get to Nashville look us up.  Myself and some
of the other members get to travel a bit and when we make it to your
cities we hope to drop by.

Be safe
-Seeblind