[hs-equality] People at Metalab have taken issue with some incidents at 29c3

Michael Zeltner m at niij.org
Sat Jan 5 02:11:34 CET 2013

Hi,

It's hard to summarise all the discussion that has been going on since 29c3,
but the short version is: the sexism debate escalated due to the use of creeper
cards, and other incidents. I'm currently not aware of many English blog posts
but one worth mentioning is certainly the one by Ada Initiative:
http://adainitiative.org/2013/01/ending-sexism-in-hacker-culture-a-work-in-progress/

A few women that came from Metalab were also affected by harassment, and a
significant portion of our group witnessed crass sexist behaviour. Others, some
that stayed in Vienna, are also aware of the general circumstances and show
solidarity, so we had a meeting with ~40 people at Metalab yesterday evening.
It concerned itself with writing some sort of statement to address our
experiences. We will be publishing the minutes once they've been cleaned up a
bit (they have been posted to the internal mailing list)

Today a few people from that crowd have started working on the following pad:

http://piratepad.net/metalab

It already got contributions from people who we don't know the faces of :) Yay!
We're working in English (in part because we have a visitor that is helping,
Adam from MakeHackVoid, Canberra, Australia) but will certainly translate once
we have assembled a more verbose version.

It'd be great if we could host some of the outcome of this on
hackerequality.org - if anyone objects, please let me know and why!

Please contribute! Even if you haven't been at 29c3 - it acted merely as a
catalyst to start this thing up. The issue is one we face everywhere.

Best,
Michael
--
https://niij.org/