[hackerspaces] Choosing a laser cutter, 2021 edition
mail at dbrgn.ch
Sat Jan 2 21:54:14 CET 2021
Hi folks, happy new year!
About five years ago, this ML discussed where to best get a laser cutter.
At Coredump hackerspace we're also thinking about buying one. Here are our goals:
- At least 40x60cm working area, a bit larger would be better (but <100cm)
- Adjustable bed
- At least 50W
- Air assist
- Ruida controller
- Nice to have: Autofocus
- Budget: Ideally around 2500 CHF / 2800 USD total cost (including shipping, modifications, etc) but 3000 CHF / 3300 USD would probably work as well
The obvious choice nowadays would be the generic Chinese 50-60W Blue-White/Yellow-Black lasers by Orion Motor Tech (aka OMTECH), the bigger versions of the K40. I found a lot of good guides on YouTube and they seem to be very affordable (as long as you're ready to do some fixing and mods yourself). However, Amazon doesn't really ship to Switzerland, and I haven't found many Ebay sellers that look serious and who ship to Switzerland. The ones I found are from non-EU eastern Europe or China, so I probably wouldn't have any advantage compared to directly ordering from China.
That reminded me of the G.Weike recommendation that a few of you posted on here in the previous e-mail thread. Their machines do seem to look very solid, but maybe outside our budget? (It's a bit hard to find actual prices on Alibaba.)
That brings me to my five questions:
- In 2021, would you still recommend G.Weike, or is Orion a better deal?
- Do you have links to Ebay or Alibaba sellers that ship Orion lasers internationally and with whom you've made good experiences?
- Do you have a contact at G.Weike with whom you've made good experiences?
- Any other laser recommendations?
Cheers and have a safe 2021,
More information about the Discuss