[hackerspaces] Lockers in a hackerspace?

Peter Kuhm peter at null.priv.at
Tue Oct 9 14:47:37 CEST 2018

Hi,

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 15:07:48 +0200 overflo wrote:

> we have project boxes and lockers at the metalab hackspace in vienna.
> storage boxes are free for some time for members only, that never worked
> out. its a trashpile.

depends, trash pile for some - precious items for others ;-)
without question, they tend to become occupied and are quickly no
longer the intended boxes for actual projects.

We also have simple drawer cabinets, small unlocked drawers free for
personal use.

> lockers ..
> well keys get lost, people give their keys to their friends,..
> we kind of lost track who was responsible for which locker.
> messy.

not really, Flo - most of them are actually monthly billed (5/8/10EUR)
and collected together with the membership fee.

> lockers have benefits and i like the idea of the lockers becoming more
> expensive over time when they are not used.
> unfortuneately metalab is too chaotic to enforce such a policy :)

right so. Sure, sufficient storage space for personal and community stuff
was always a weak spot of Metalab (only for critical infrastructure -Mate
and beer- appropriate measures were taken). Who should monitor the locker
use and change the height of the fees? Someone would come forward to
propose a surveillance system that automatically checks locker door
frequency but the fun ends when proper accounting is required. (Also not
a good sort of income for our space)

cu,
Peter