[hackerspaces] Order vs anarchy - how do you deal with that

Joshua Pritt ramgarden at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 22:58:31 CET 2018

At Melbourne Makerspace in FL, USA

How do you organize your hackerspace?
5 board members meet monthly to go over financials, old business and new
business.  We also plan events and classes, and anything else that needs to
be done to keep the space running and the bills paid, etc.

Does really anarchy/actocracy work for you or do you have some set of more
specific rules?
We have rules but if something needs to be done and it won't hurt anyone or
the space or break anything, just do it and let the board members know.  We
have an email address that automatically emails all 5 of us at once for
everyone and the public to use.  For example, our laser cutter broke by
cutting its own water cooling lines (we kept the bucket underneath the
cabinet thinking it had a metal sheet under the honeycomb, it does not) and
one of our new members fixed it by replacing the hoses and another new
member built a wooden "table" that fits underneath to protect the hoses.
Kinda like a do-ocracy of sorts?

How do you deal with mis-behaving members ?
We have a vote by members and board members and then disable their RFID
key.  We haven't had anyone steal anything and have security cameras in
every room with off-site video storage for insurance and safety.  We were
able to see for example the last person that closed the garage door and
forgot to lock it.

How do you deal with equipment having damaged/stolen?
Damaged equipment gets fixed whenever the person/people that knows how to
fix it has time to fix it.  So some things like our wood band saw has been
sitting broken for a few weeks now.  Or in the case of the laser cutter we
sometimes have members that take the initiative and just fix it and ask for
forgiveness later.  He sent an email with pictures of everything he found
and each step of fixing it.  Great to see!  Then apologized if he had
overstepped by fixing it.

Do you reward members having put some efforts in hackerpace running or
just all members are equal?
We do offer half price membership to anyone that wants to help open the
space and give tours and help with projects during our 7 days a week open
house hours.

How do you deal with general mess made by people?
We have a snack area with sodas, water, chips, candy, crackers, etc. that
we buy at a big box store and charge a little extra like 50 cents for a
soda and 50 cents for a bag of chips but $1 for chocolate candy.  We make
enough from this to pay one of our members to clean and tidy up the space
once a month.

How do you deal with abandoned dust-covered projects whose owner doesn't
care about these anymore?
We have a rule that no one can leave projects out on any of the tables so
you have to store it in your member storage box (cardboard bankers box from
Staples).  If it doesn't fit then take it home.  If your project is drying
glue or paint, etc. then put a note on it with your name and date you'll be
back.  After that date we start sending emails.  Then after a few days we
email again and call you.  If no response then it gets broken down into
parts to be used by other members in their projects or thrown away.