[hackerspaces] Order vs anarchy - how do you deal with that

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Sun Nov 11 05:30:35 CET 2018

Sounds like the space might be growing faster than it can support. It
really helps to have a common vision between members. Several of the design
patterns I wrote about here (
https://elplatt.com/new-hackerspace-design-patterns ) are relevant, in
particular: principles, signage, and physics.

Happy hacking,
Ed

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:23 PM Christopher Agocs <chris at agocs.org> wrote:

> At the South Side Hackerspace in Chicago, we started off with a set of
> bylaws that defined how the space was going to be run. The bylaws defined a
> board of directors, who could appoint members to be responsible for various
> spaces within our hackerspace (woodshop, electronics bench, 3D printer
> zone, etc.). These "area captains" take ownership in making sure tools are
> maintained and things are put away. We believe very strongly in actocracy,
> but we also believe that there needs to be some structure to keep
> things moving.
>
> The bylaws allow for members to be banned (this has only come up once).
> They also allow members to propose rules by which the space must be run.
> One of the rules defines a means storing half-finished projects in the
> space, so long as there is the owner's name and date they'll finish the
> project. If a lot of clutter is building up in the space, a board member
> can put tags on abandoned projects, take pictures of them, email the
> membership, and give people a week to respond before projects are thrown
> out. There's very little email drama around it because people understand
> the rules.
>
> We believe that most people are generally doing good, and so any
> leadership from the board is a light touch.
>
> The bylaws are available here: https://wiki.sshchicago.org/wiki/Bylaws
>
> To answer your questions directly:
>
> > How do you organize your hackerspace?
> We have a group of 5-7 members who serve on the board of directors. The
> positions are elected every year, and any member in good standing may run.
> The board selects members to act as area captains; they're responsible for
> making sure tools are maintained, the areas are cleaned, and supplies are
> bought. They spend some of their time at the space taking care of the space.
>
> > Does really anarchy/actocracy work for you or do you have some set of
> more specific rules?
> More specific. Actocracy works well in early stages when a small core of
> people are building the space, but it doesn't scale well I've found.
>
> > How do you deal with mis-behaving members ?
> The board has the power to ban a member, but it's only happened once and
> after a lengthy series of warnings and uncomfortable conversations. If a
> member messes up, we talk to them, explain what they did wrong, and help
> them improve. If they don't want to do better, well, that's a problem.
>
> > How do you deal with equipment having damaged/stolen?
> Equipment breaks. We set aside some money to fix it. If we find a member
> is intentionally damaging equipment, that's a problem that we deal with.
>
> > Do you reward members having put some efforts in hackerpace running or
> just all members are equal?
> We have two tiers of members with keys to the space: Full members donate
> more money every month; they can vote and get a storage locker. Partial
> members get keys to the space and access to the tools, but they can't vote
> [...]

Edward L. Platt
PhD Candidate, University of Michigan School of Information
he/him | https://elplatt.com | @elplatt | @elplatt at social.coop

Tips for stopping email overload:
https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1