[hackerspaces] Hackerspace and hackerspace

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Mon Feb 26 18:43:45 CET 2018

I'd add... actions speak louder than words.

We run the risk in any discussion such as this of falling into the trap of
parkinson's law of triviality ( oft referred to as bike shedding ).  what
we call something is only important in so far as public messaging is
concerned.  in a way labels themselves suffer from their own strength.  as
the term hackerspace entered the common technical vernacular so did it
immediately begin to dilute in terms of clarity.  Many attached the
terminology to resumes, grant proposals, requirements lists... as they are
often want to do when randomly scoping stuff such as us monkeys are so very
enamored with.  While this has been regrettable, it has had no real
relevance to the growth and execution of decentralized hackerspaces.

The benefit here of decentralization has been that all spaces can choose to
wear the badge of hackerspace or *space or their own unique brand as they
see fit... and thus avoid any broad generalizations that may rear their
head.  In a way, there is tremendous flexibility attributed to spaces due
to their geographic centric nature.  They can integrate into their local
geographic community as they see fit, with no real consequence to them on a
larger scale.  The trouble with a federated identity ( be it national or
international ) is that it tends to limit the capacity of a hackerspace to
adapt and survive in it's own environment.

Not to espouse some sort of support of social darwinianism, that would be
off base and somewhat ridiculous in this context, but in a way the future
of the hackerspace movement will not be defined in this discussion or on
this list.  It will be defined by the spaces that survive and flourish, if
they survive at all.  And, so as time marches on the relentless shifting
sands of time will change what hackerspaces are from region to region, and
generation to generation as well.  And that's a necessary state change to
accept and plan for accordingly.

A hackerspace by any other name is still a hackerspace and would smell of
solder fumes, saw dust, and if you are in some east europe spaces... of
cigarettes.

-Matt