[hackerspaces] Choosing a laser cutter

opit opit at technariumas.lt
Mon Nov 27 11:58:39 CET 2017

Hi all,
we're raising money to buy a laser cutter again, aiming for 80-150W
power range and 1300-600mm work area.

We'd like to ask if you have any experience with a) European-made
lasers, e.g. Trotec, Boxford (we're in Lithuania) b) Chinese lasers that
are 2-3 times cheaper (e.g. Bodor, Acctek, etc.)?

I'm worried about spending a lot of members' money on a low-quality
device with no customer support and no warranty. On the other hand, it
can very well be that some of the 'made in EU' lasers are just
re-branded ones. We're aiming to spend up to 12k Euros on the cutter.

Do you have any comments or suggestions? Here are some devices we've
been looking at:

https://www.troteclaser.com/en/laser-machines/laser-cutters-sp-series/

http://acctekcnc.com/html/products/cnc_laser/Laser_engraving_cutting/2016/0511/219.html

http://www.bodor.com/Fiber_Laser/CO2/2017-10-19/366.html (5.6k E)