[hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

\0xDynamite dreamingforward at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 03:00:12 CEST 2017

On 7/9/17, Jurgen Gaeremyn <jurgen at gaeremyn.be> wrote:
> Hi there,
> (sorry, don't know your name)

Who's he talking to?

> I'm one of those who apparently don't seem to care... why not? Because
> hackerspace.org isn't THE wiki, it's just A wiki. What's on it, is just
> one place where I find my food for thought...

Sufficiently unconconstructive and ambiguous, thanks.

> Also I know that maintaining a website (even a wiki) is a sh*tload of
> work.

Like adding content...

> And as I'm not one of the members doing it, I humbly respect
> differences in opinions.

Why respect them?  Why not "get in there" and root around and see who's wrong?

> I'm not as stuck up with my head in my own ass
> as to think that my idea is the one what will save the world (if all the
> others actually would do my idea).

It that what it is?  If you took the time to talk to city/county/state
leaders, you'd know that they are in dire need of knowledge about how
to fix things (and I'm not talking about their computer).  You see,
many of them got there, because their constitution requires someone
fill the office.  But do you think that means they know what to do
once they get sworn in?  Of course, you'd think so.

But in actuality, if you bothered, as I said, you'd find that they are
like a bouy in a rushing stream with very little to hold onto.

> And I rather have a wiki and
> hackerspaces.org website that kind of feeds me, than rather have no
> HS.org wiki at all. And the people doing the heavy lifting and
> performing the boring jobs like housekeeping and maintenance... they're
> the ones that I support.

Okay, you're another idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about...

> Okay... that's enough troll food for this post... next up is the
> constructive feedback. There was the question what should be on the
> wiki...

No, there wasn't.

> This is what I read on the front page: This website is for
> *Anyone and Everyone* who wants to share their hackerspace stories and
> questions with the global hackerspaces community.

Are you saying you can ask questions on the wiki?  Would asking
permission first been the wiki way to do things?  Please review.

> With that focus in mind... what shouldn't be on that wiki: all that
> isn't a hackerspace story or hackerspace question.

Is that your opinion?  Because, for a moment there, it sounded like
you were setting policy.

> So should there be
> room for theoritizing about what a better world would look like? Sure.
> But it's not the core of what this site is about (according to its own
> opening sentence).

Right.  SO do not put such content on the front page.  Thank you.

> I would hope people who come here, are people who
> want to find help in building or rekindling their own (new or existing)
> space. I think that would be a nice axiom to start from.

How about this axiom?  The economy sucks ASS, what can I do?

> But then
> again... I'm not doing any weight lifting on the site.

Thank goodness, because the liability would be too high.

Thanks for that,

Mark