[hackerspaces] Member and event management systems

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Sat Sep 10 03:48:33 CEST 2016

What is the National Organization of Makers?

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 8:46 PM, Joshua Pritt <ramgarden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Melbourne Makerspace has been using the open source Seltzer (built at
> another hackerspace!) specifically for running 'spaces with little to no
> training and volunteer time.
> I am currently trying to build a member photo module that lets other
> members pull up the photos of a selected member since we have so many
> members now it's hard to remember their names!
>
> https://github.com/elplatt/seltzer
>
> I wrote some PHP that queries the Seltzer database that is called from a
> Python script I wrote that runs on a raspberry Pi with an RFID scanner we
> use for our front door lock.
> It's been working great for over a year now!
>
> https://wiki.melbournemakerspace.org/projects/RFIDDoorLock
>

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 8:15 PM, Matthew "mirage335" Hines <
> spamfreemirage335 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You may wish to request an invite to the National Organization of Makers
>> slack channel. This has been recognized as a unsolved problem in need of
>> dedicated technology. An active development effort is underway to begin an
>> extensive Odoo based platform without lock-in.
>>
>> On 09/09/16 08:03 PM, Dominic Canare wrote:
>>
>> It's been a little while since we talked about this, and I wonder if new
>> information or tools are available.
>>
>> What are people using to manage their members, payments, equipment
>> authorizations, events and signups, donations, etc?
>>
>> We've been using WildApricot for the past few years. It does many things,
>> but all of them are a little lacking. We have a bunch of work-arounds and
>> custom tools built around their API's to make it easier for our
>> administrators, but it's become a bit cumbersome to maintain, and the price
>> keeps going up.
>>
>> Looking for suggestions!
>>
>> *Dominic Canare*
>> Immediate Past President, MakeICT

Edward L. Platt
PhD student, University of Michigan School of Information
https://elplatt.com
@elplatt <http://twitter.com/elplatt>
KC1DYK

Tips for stopping email overload:
https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

This digital electronic mail message was sent from my general-purpose
desktop personal computing machine.  Please forgive any overly-verbose,
long-winded, rambling prose.