[hackerspaces] US hackerspace and makerspaces - safety practices in risky neighborhoods

Shirley Hicks shirley at velochicdesign.com
Sat Jun 25 16:43:52 CEST 2016

Hey everyone,

For a whole bunch of reasons, we’re having to push through and complete safety and security protocols for our makerspace.
The thing we need to address is very US-centric, that of having taken a low(er) rent space in a neighborhood with crime problems and needing to beef up security and safety practices as a result.

We have a good crew in charge of this at our makerspace, but we now need to get a formal process in place for our membership so that we capture _all_ incidents. (we’re working with our city police and administration to improve safety in the area).

Am wondering if you would be willing to share your practices at your makerspace. Also, if you have linked material or docs, would you be willing to share that as well?

Thanks in advance,

Shirley Hicks
Red Mountain Makers
Birmingham, AL