[hackerspaces] Your mission statement vs the law, re bigotry and "terrorism".

Sparr sparr0 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 23:05:47 CEST 2016

I've been on the losing side of lighter versions of this argument a few
times over the past ten years, at various hackerspaces. A lot of people
claim that they think that the law trumps a space's charter or mission
statement.

Here in the USA, we're looking at a future where it is scarily plausible
that some segment of the population will be banned from a lot of
activities, which might include things such as "taking machine shop
classes" or "working with explosive gases".

When your state or federal legislature passes a law, or your president
issues an executive order, that says Muslims (or some ethnic minority)
can't do those things, where will you stand on whether your space follows
that law or not?