[hackerspaces] The Functioning Computer Museum needs you!

hellekin hellekin at dyne.org
Tue Jul 5 21:22:47 CEST 2016

I'm passing this support request from the Functioning Computer Museum.
The original message in Italian comes after KatolaZ's English
translation.  Please have a look and circulate this message to
like-minded people and patrons.

Asbesto and his team have been doing great work repairing and
maintaining historical computers in working condition.  Last year,
Asbesto rebuilt an Apple I from original components.  Recently they had
to downgrade their Internet access to save on expenses, and are quite in
a situation with their rent.  What happens to the salvaged computers and
the project may depend on you!

Regards,

==
hk

*

As you might know, we are a totally self-funded Museum, run only by
volunteers, which does not receive funding from any governmental or
private institution. As a consequence, every now and then we are
forced to ask for the help of friends like you, who have concretely
suppported our activities, our projects, and our growth in the past.

Amid several difficulties, in the last few years we have continued
working on hardware collection and restoration, we have regularly
published and shared the results of our research, we have received
hundreds of visitors in our permanent exposition, and salvaged
precious and rare data from vintage media using custom-built hardware
and software (the most notable examples include full versions of the
extremely rare CROOK-3 and CROOK-4 operating systems, with complete
sources, extracted from original magnetic tapes of the 1980's Polish
system MERA-400).

This is one of those moments when the help of friends like you is
necessary. We are currently struggling to keep up with the payment of
rent and bills (we actually have three months of renting in arrear and
a couple of energy bills still waiting to be paid), and we cannot get
through these hard times without a concrete help. We had to cut our
ADSL connection last month, replacing it with a radio connection to
our homes, and we also had to put off-line most of the historical
VAX/VMS computers in order to save on the energy bill.

We would really appreciate any donation that could help us getting
through this hard contingency, which is putting the continuation of
the Museum at serious risk.

Grazie.

Donations:

- Via bank transfer to "ASSOCIAZIONE CULTURALE FREAKNET"
  Bank Name: IWBANK
  IBAN: IT58V0308301609000000024257
  ABI: 03083
  CAB: 01609