[hackerspaces] Who currently has the best, most functional hackerspace model?

Ben Brown ben at generik.ca
Tue Jul 5 20:17:23 CEST 2016

Those are some very good points. Without a thriving community, a
hackerspace is just a box with tools.

Despite Kwartzlab's original mandate was more or less 'by members, for
members', we do a lot of outward-facing events. We team up with other
organizations to teach skills. We have repair cafes and other things to
interact with the community at large. We don't really do a lot of
member-specific events anymore... the AGM is about the only one.

We focused on community a lot in the early days -- spontaneous
hackathons, talks, parties and what not. It also helped that we all
contributed to building the actual space together, which created a lot
of camaraderie. When we moved in 2013, we gained some core members by
building out our 2nd space in a similar fashion.

I'm thinking we need to do more like this... at least get everyone in
the same space more often.

Ben