[hackerspaces] Who currently has the best, most functional hackerspace model?

Ben Brown ben at generik.ca
Tue Jul 5 19:24:31 CEST 2016

Finance-wise, Kwartzlab has never been in the red. This has been
achieved by being fiscally conservative of extra spending and proper
reporting -- we always know where money is and for what purpose. Keeping
the doors open and lights on is the priority, we've never considered a
new space that we can't sustain with our current membership. Most of our
big tools have come from grants/donations and member-driven group buys.
We've also kept an emergency fund of three full months of operational
expenses (rent, hydro, etc) that we've never used, but it's good to have
just in case.

Our biggest problem is we don't have enough new members interested in
the general day-to-day operation of the space. Traditionally the board +
small number of volunteers take care of most things - cleaning,
upgrades, new tools, etc. However a lot of our core group (including
myself) is burning out after seven years of operation. Our last two
boards were appointed without a vote because we didn't have enough
interested nominees.

If anyone's got some insight on successful ways of combating member
apathy I'd love to hear what worked!

Cheers,
Ben