[hackerspaces] Electric strikes

Arclight arclight at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 08:52:44 CET 2016

My advice, from helping with about 20 installs of the Open Access
system we build:

Don't buy cheap door hardware.  Import electric strikes are OK for
low-abuse, low-traffic applications like interior doors and cabinets.
For what you're describing, you really want a good,grade 1 commecial
strike from a vendor like Trine, Assa-Abloy, Stanley Commercial, etc.
Unfortunately, these often go for $300-500 new.  Fortunately, used and
surplus units come up all the time on eBay for modest prices.
Sometimes you can get a whole flat-rate box of used locks and strikes
for $50.

Also, if you have a commercial-style door with a mortise lock: There's
probably an electric lock available for it. Electric locks are easier
to install, and don't leave as much stuff exposed to the elements.

Cheers,

Arclight
23b Shop

Open Access Project: