[hackerspaces] member management software

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Wed Jan 6 16:31:27 CET 2016

What do people use for member management? I'm looking for open source
projects.

Requirements and nice to haves off the top of my head

* Open source license
* Easy to contribute too
* Community/dev culture that scores well on being able to run sprints
according to OpenHatch's event handbook, <http://opensource-events.com/>
* Written in a language that our active technical members use (python, go)
* Easily adaptable to our space member logic (membership tier, equipment
permissions, &c.)
* Service API that provides enough member data so that we can use it with
our RFID stuff
* SSO
* Approachable deployment

I've done some googling and found a few. One that jumped out at me is
Tendenci, <https://www.tendenci.com/>.
* It has a service API, yay. It uses django tastypie which is a little meh
compared to django rest framework because the latter has more active
development and support from the community. On the other hand, I use
tastypie at work and have experience with it.
* Their repo, <https://github.com/tendenci/tendenci>, and it has a lot of
recent activity.
* I haven't looked for evidence for contributor friendliness yet. Looking
at the graph on github shows mainly the employees of the company. There are
advantages/disadvantages for that. Risks: It might become abandonware. It
might not be easy to contribute to. Benefits: Active development, option
for hosting, &c.
* I haven't tested the ease of deployment.
* The code base is a bit large, which may be a code smell.
* It looks like they've architected the project so that it is pluginable.
This might mean it is easy to adopt to our rules. I haven't dived in to
verify this.

shekay at pobox.com