[hackerspaces] Tragedy in Oakland
arclight at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 07:42:17 CET 2016
I'm sure folks have probably already heard about this, but if not,
there was a massive fire at an artist live/work type space in Oakland,
CA. It looks there was a large loss of life:
There is almost certain to be a lot more attention from authorities
coming to hackerspaces and other informal venues, with reason. Now
would be a good time to:
-Make sure the exits are clear
-Get the fire extinguishers serviced
-Purchase a proper flammables cabinet (secondhand is ok - they go for
US$100 here on Craigslist) and put away all of the paint, solvent,
-Fix the dodgy wiring the right way. This also includes getting rid
of extension cords in permanent use.
-Throw the piles of old shite and half-finished art that's been abandoned
Some pictures of their venue will give you an idea of how this could
In short, there's too much stuff, a lot of which is flammable. The
second story loft was apparently only accessible by a ladder, and
regularly had many people in it for events. Unfortuntately, we can
look at their photo gallery and see a lot in common with our own
spaces. Time to tidy up and fix shit!
This is a public service announcement from 23b Shop.
More information about the Discuss