[hackerspaces] Paid Staff

justin corwin outlawpoet at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 21:29:02 CEST 2016

At Crashspace we have avoided paid staff except for one time unavoidable
work (lawyer reviewing non profit paperwork, etc). We have done a very
successful intern program, where we give a free membership to an
enthusiastic person in exchange for them pitching in on cleaning,
administrative tasks. Most interns went on to be very productive normal
members afterwards. (in fact, thinking of it we should really get our next
one in).

It helps that we have stayed around 100 members for a while, and most
people know each other very well. Everyone wants a clean space and things
to keep moving forward. We have an elected Board that makes most of the
decisions, and officers empowered to spend a little money and throw stuff
out as needed.

Justin Corwin
outlawpoet at gmail.com
http://programmaticconquest.tumblr.com