[hackerspaces] Paid Staff

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Fri Aug 19 16:59:23 CEST 2016

On 19/08/16 12:41, Bill Shaw wrote:
> As Tampa Hackerspace approaches 100 members, we're starting to look
> forward for the best ways to handle growth and scaling without driving
> ourselves crazy. One thing we're considering is whether it makes sense
> to have someone on payroll to take care of some basic things.
>
> For the more established and larger spaces out there, I'm curious how
> many members you had when you added your first paid staff. What was your
> overall budget at the time? Were they part time or full time? What
> responsibilities did they have?

Technologia Incognita (one of the hackerspaces in Amsterdam) has about
100 members, never had paid staff. We have considered paying someone to
clean, but a majority of people was against. I think we have paid
someone once to clean the windows.

Personally, to me hackerspaces are community projects where you run a
space as a community. Not some rich-kids playground who are afraid of a
bit of dirty work once in a while. That's what I think about when I
think of paid staff.

w.