[hackerspaces] Minor usage and student memberships

dosman dosman at packetsniffers.org
Wed Apr 27 23:17:58 CEST 2016

Unfortunately we have to restrict our members to 18 and over due to the requirements of our insurance company. Of the adult members who join so their kids can have more access, so far these kids have all been model “surrogate members” who I would trust more than some of our adult members - but technically they still have to have their parent with them while at our space. We may not enforce that as strongly though once we get to know them better and the kids show they are responsible. But regardless, the trust has to be earned, it’s not given automatically.

Sometimes we get parents who think it’s fine to dump their kids off on public nights and leave until the end of the night. This doesn’t happen often, but we make it clear to the parent that this will be the last time they do this when it happens; we’re not a baby-sitting service. And it’s sad to see these kids with dingbat parents who leave their kids with strangers… but that’s a separate issue.

We do have two membership classes, the full membership and a hardship membership level for students and people who can’t afford our full membership price. Per the IRS rules for 501c3’s, reduced price membership classes must have some type of reduction in benefit they receive. So our hardship membership does not come with voting privileges. These members are welcome to join our formal meetings and participate, but they don’t get to vote on any issues requiring a vote. It’s a minor issue that most people could care less about, but it fulfills this particular 501c3 obligation.

Thanks,
-dosman