[hackerspaces] Next Engine Scanner

Sector67 Team team at sector67.org
Thu Sep 24 01:51:38 CEST 2015

We have an Xbox Kinect that we use for human scale things and a Next Engine
scanner for small stuff.  The Next Engine requires a very good
understanding of how the scanner works and how to best use it to accomplish
what you want.  I learned how to use it at engineering school and through
friends.  The software will crash but on a computer with a fast processor
and a ton of RAM it does work.  It's definitely not a magic machine that
will make solid models for you with no effort, I usually instruct our
members that a first time using it will take 8+ hours, and subsequent uses
will halve that number as you get better as using their software and
orienting/marking/prepping models.

This was scanned in on our Next Engine on medium resolution, the loss of
detail isn't from the scanner, the injection molded part was that bad:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158376

Chris

Chris Meyer
Director