[hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

David Francos me at davidfrancos.net
Wed Sep 16 16:26:38 CEST 2015

> Sadly, this happens at all levels of education and even at the most
> tech-savvy schools. My friends Nathan Matias and Kate Darling have been
> working with MIT and BU to set up a legal clinic for MIT students who run
> into legal trouble as a result of innovative work. They're also organizing
> an event with the EFF called Freedom to Innovate. It might be encouraging
> for the student to know that MIT students run into the same types of
> problems, and these links might be able to sway some people in the city and
> school:
>
> http://freedom2innovate.mit.edu/
>

> https://civic.mit.edu/blog/natematias/the-story-behind-mit-and-boston-universitys-new-legal-clinic-for-student-innovation

If it were me, that tought would not encourage me to anything, it'd
probably depress me a little and probably make me realize how fucked up our
world really is

> Happy hacking,
> -Ed
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Randall Arnold <randall.arnold at texrat.net
> > wrote:
>
>> I live not far from Irving and used to work there.  I had always thought
>> it was more progressive than some of the cities around here... apparently
>> not.
>>

>> This state has become so paranoid...
>>
>> On September 16, 2015 at 6:27 AM Joshua Pritt <ramgarden at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I am at a loss for words. We really do seem to be moving backwards.  I'm
>> reminded of the movie Idiocracy and worry that we are actually heading in
>> that direction.  How can we make sure to avoid that possible future?
>> On Sep 16, 2015 7:16 AM, "Glyn Kennington" <glyn at potatojunkie.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>> mindthegoat wrote:
>> > The lack of replies here suggests everyone is completely lost for
>> > words. In the UK we moan about our education system but you guys are
>> > in so much trouble if your country is going so backward.
>> >
>> > Support Ahmed, the school and police are surely a lost cause.
>>
>> I'm reminded of something I read years ago, about a student being
>> suspended for "hacking" after using "net send".  That was also in Texas.
>>

>> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/04/01/07/1713236/8th-grader-suspended-for-using-net-send-command
>>
>> It looks like this time round, the police were involved and demonstrated
>> a similar lack of clue.

> --
> Edward L. Platt
> PhD student, University of Michigan School of Information
> https://elplatt.com
> @elplatt <http://twitter.com/elplatt>
> KC1DYK
>
> Tips for stopping email overload:
> https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1
>
> This digital electronic mail message was sent from my general-purpose
> desktop personal computing machine.  Please forgive any overly-verbose,
> long-winded, rambling prose.

Gracias,

David Francos Cuartero (davidfrancos.net)
Founder - Dlabs Hackerspace (www.dlabs.co)
Promoter - Zaragoza Python User Group (
https://plus.google.com/communities/103281359456269063508) , Betabeers
Zaragoza (www.betabeers.com)