[hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Shirley Hicks shirley at velochicdesign.com
Wed Sep 16 06:38:27 CEST 2015

On Sep 15, 2015, at 11:37 PM, Shirley Hicks <redmtnadmin at redmountainmakers.org> wrote:

Hey everyone,

Are there any hackers on the list who are also US teachers who would care to comment on how to best word an email lending support to a high school student who has been suspended for three days for bringing a circuit board clock project to school? I think that this is an overreaction by the school leadership and the local police due to their not understanding electronic engineering and general hacking. I don’t want to do a social media pile on; I would rather helpful and educational while pointing out how they’ve got this very, very, wrong. FWIW - I checked a map - Irving is a Dallas suburb.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-irving-9th-grader-arrested-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Independent_School_District

Thanks!

Shirley Hicks
Secretary/Business Admin/Programmer/Maker
Red Mountain Makers