[hackerspaces] Choosing a laser cutter

John Harrison john at makeict.org
Tue Sep 1 18:46:49 CEST 2015

FWIW Wichita State University bought an Epilog under my advice and it
hasn't done well. The main board died after 14 months and that was more
than $2K to replace. The warranty was 12 months and Epilog would not hear
of replacing the board for free. Since then it has had issues with the head
skipping and slipping occasionally and overall isn't something I have a ton
of trust in. I don't get the "built-like-a-tank" impression that others
talk about.

As Dom mentioned earlier on this thread MakeICT just got a Rabbit laser. To
me it seems more solid than the Epilog in build construction and I
currently have a lot more faith in it. As Dom also mentioned, it's new to
us so I can't say how it will do over time.

I'll take the Epilog print driver over the Rabbit 1998-look-and-feel
software any day, but other than that I'm not convinced about Epilog myself.

-John