[hackerspaces] dossier pattern

matt matt at nycresistor.com
Wed Nov 18 17:38:29 CET 2015

Interesting.  From what I've heard most folks draw the dividing line
between makerspace / hackerspace on more hardware / manufactory oriented as
opposed to purely code / software endeavours.  I disagree with that for a
couple reasons.

I like the broader general use of the term hackerspace.  Why limit it?  And
Makerspace has some negative connotations, in part due to the 'Make tm'
empire and their control of that sort of branding.  I'd say there are very
definitely more hardware oriented spaces and more software oriented
spaces.  But that's really neither here nor there as far as the results are
concerned.  NYC Resistor has generated plenty of neat software over the
years as well as hardware.  Vice versa with any more software oriented
hackerspaces.

It's really the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest that Makerspaces
were some how culturally different from hackerspaces in the way you are
suggesting.  Now, correct me if I am wrong, but you are suggesting that
hackerspaces are political in nature, and makerspaces are not?  I suppose
from a CCC perspective I can see how you'd come to that sort of conclusion,
but it's radically bizarre to me and probably most folks in the states.

Where CCC began very much as a political entity, groups like the L0pht and
the Model railroad club did not.  The US has a very fundamentally different
history when it comes to hackerspaces and hacking in general.  To say
nothing of basic cultural dis-similarities.  I think most of the US would
disagree with that sort of dividing line.  In part because most folks
simply don't see politics and hackerspaces as joined at the hip.  But also
because 'Makerspace' already has existing pre-conceptions here that don't
match up with your model.  Probably it's own rich discussion.  Interesting
as hell.

-Matt