[hackerspaces] Space Allocation in Hackerspaces

Bob Bownes bownes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 02:20:18 CET 2015

> That means a lot of things on wheels (even couches) for the former,
> and lots of built-ins (wired ethernet outlets, bookshelves) for the
> latter.

​And electrical outlets. When we built our new space, I asked for quad
outlet boxes set in the floors and ceilings on a 12'x12' grid. Costs forced
us to settle on 15'x15'. Each box had 4 data jacks and 4 110VAC power
outlets, except for shop areas, which are 208 VAC 5 wire (3 hots, neutral &
ground), from which we can derive anything we need in the shop, mostly 208
3 phase, 208 2 pole, and 110. The electricians thought I was insane until I
told them we never knew where anything was going to be and things would be
rearranged constantly. They still didn't get it until we compared it to a
theater or a museum.

  ​