[hackerspaces] WordPress websites - what features/plugins and configurations do your spaces use?

Bob Baddeley hackerspace-discuss at bobbaddeley.com
Sun Nov 1 17:48:00 CET 2015

Our space (http://Sector67.org) has a few features that we've built
ourselves that work really well, in addition to some regular plugins.
We've had to pay for some of them:

WooCommerce, WooCommerce Subscriptions, WooEvents Pro, WooCommerce
Account Funds, and Event Calendar & Ticketing.
This combination lets us have a store to sell kits and raw materials,
but it also lets us do classes, special events, and take payment for
everything, including monthly membership. Allowing people to manage
their membership level online, take care of their automatic monthly
payments, use their credit card or paypal (or check/cash if they want),
and have reports and account balances has taken a lot of the load off
money management at the space. Anyone who is a member can create an
event/class, schedule space, and take payments.

WP-Members and Members and Nave Menu Roles - allows us to assign members
limited permissions on the site, and changes what's available based on
different member levels. For example, only members can see the page that
contains the webcams throughout the space.

We also got a wiki plugin, which we use for documentation on the tools
in the space; how to use them, where they are, tips for settings for
various common tasks, etc.

Then it gets cool. We built another plugin on top of all these that
manages 'machines' in the space and their usage. We have RFID keys for
door access, and Raspberry Pi's at the doors. When an RFID is swiped,
the pi makes a web service request to our plugin to check the membership
and permission level of that user and allows them access. We have some
caching in place in case the web goes down, but essentially we have a
web interface that controls who has access to what physical things.
We've also tied this system in to our laser cutter, where we not only
enable/disable the laser based on whether the person has been trained,
but we track the length of the job and charge against their account
funds for how many seconds of laser time (since the laser tube is a
consumable). We have a scale next to our 3D printer area with a pi that
lets you pay for plastic parts using account funds as well.

Our biggest problem with this is that our web site is kinda slow, and
though we're using a plugin called W3 Total Cache to cache chunks and
reduce processor time, we're on Dreamhost, so...

As awesome as this setup is, though, like any hackerspace it's pretty
cobbled together, and we don't have an installation script for the
plugin we wrote. Plus it was a few hundred dollars for all the plugins
we bought. Still, for the features and convenience it affords, it was a
good investment. And being able to have an automated system for charging
for filament and laser time ensures that people pay for consumables and
the space isn't hurting from abuse.