[hackerspaces] Circuits lab organization and parts retention for noobs

justin corwin outlawpoet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 20:45:39 CET 2015

One of the more successful policies at crashspace has been making 'dead
piles' in the front room. We put marginal stuff on display, and give a
countdown for when it's going away. People who have strong feelings about a
particular bit can always save it, but usually they confine themselves to
picking one or two things to put back, so we still manage to recycle/trash
a fair amount, but nobody feels bad because they all had a shot to save
thing they felt strongly about.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Joshua Pritt <ramgarden at gmail.com> wrote:

> All makerspaces tend to have the packrat tendencies on what to keep vs
> throw out / recycle.  Depending on how much space you have for parts /
> hackables storage would be the main factor.  If you have a lot of shelves
> you might use several banker boxes to keep the bigger things sorted like
> "hard drives", "5V wall power supplies", "junk cables", "Power cables",
> "USB cables", etc.  Then for the smaller things like individual resistors
> and diodes it is very helpful to purchase or ask for a donated organizer
> like this one:
> http://goo.gl/J6uYIO
>
> I've never heard of any specific rules or ways to scientifically determine
> what to keep vs throw away / recycle since there's always that, "someone
> might be able to use this on a project" mentality that is very much in line
> with just plain pack-ratism.
>
> I hope this helps (you probably already knew all this)!
>

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 3:23 PM, Shirley Hicks <shirley at velochicdesign.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Good afternoon everyone,
>>
>> The Red Mountain Makers in Birmingham is in the process of organizing and
>> binning parts from donated defunct equipment.
>>
>> Do any of you have notes, write-ups or links regarding how to decide what
>> to recycle and what to keep? Any recommendations regarding how much to keep
>> on hand? The person who is organizing the work (me) is a relative noob to
>> lab organization, and those who are parting the stuff out have packrat
>> tendencies. :) Our lab guru who is guiding us has given some general
>> recommendations, but his experience is within a development workplace with
>> far more resources than we currently have.
>>
>> By way of example, we have 2 paper box sized bins of SATA drive cables,
>> and a similarly sized box of VGA cables.
>>
>> My main concern is managing the supply while we shuffle the space to
>> accommodate renovations. It's all binned and on racks, but isn't clustered
>> beyond like with like (first sort). I have electronics recyclers coming in
>> two days.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Shirley Hicks
>> RMM Secretary