[hackerspaces] RFC: security alarm and access control systems in use

Shirley Hicks shirley at velochicdesign.com
Tue Jun 16 16:49:43 CEST 2015

The Red Mountain Makerspace has been using a commercial APT system in March, in combination with keyed locks.

Yes, this is not terribly hackerish, but we needed to get infrastructure in place in a relatively short period of time to deal with some real security concerns. We're in an old building in a transitioning neighborhood. We need to grow our org as quickl to address real community needs for tech education, exploration and community development, so we've chosen to pay for services that will take time and skill to develop, while using the inhouse talent pool to complete tasks within their existing skillsets.

Going with a commercial solution for the next few years allows us to focus on growing our introductory circuitry, 3D printing, CNC, open source and programming offerings and to support development of the local tech community. Our plan is to switch to RFID cards tied to membership dues payment within the next nine months. (we'll probably get it done sooner, but we are practicing allowing for the worst and working towards the best possible outcomes).

Shirley Hicks
Secretary/Business Admin/Programmer/Maker
Red Mountain Makers
http://www.redmountainmakers.org
Twitter: @redmountainmake
Facebook: Red Mountain Makers