[hackerspaces] RFC: security alarm and access control systems in use

Ron Bean makerspace at rbean.users.panix.com
Tue Jun 16 15:39:32 CEST 2015

>Also: why do so many of these hackerspace access control systems use RFID /
>proximity cards? Hackerspace people are among the most likely to know how
>laughable security is with them, yet so many hackerspaces use them?

I haven't seen it, but I've been told that there is video of a member
letting himself in with a slimjim when his RFID card didn't work. One
could argue that it would have been easier for him to hack the system,
but in his case I don't think so. (He's no longer around, but that's a
different story. Also, the doors now have latch guards.)

Anyway, this is one anecdote in favor of the idea that the people we're
trying to keep out are unlikely to bother hacking the RFID system (for
the same reason that burglars seldom bother to pick locks-- only nerds
do that, and they're not interested in breaking in).