[hackerspaces] Wanted: your Hackerspace Design Patterns

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 3 00:31:11 CEST 2015

I submitted a proposal for a talk at CCCamp 2015:  an updated presentation of the Hackerspace Design Patterns.  It was accepted!

tl;dr:
Have you observed a Pattern (what works well, and what not so well) at your hackerspace that you think others can benefit from?  If so, please share it with me, so I can share it with others in my talk.

Design Patterns are generalize-able statements of what works well and doesn't work so well -- so that others can learn what may work well (or not so well) for them.

The original Hackerspace Design Patterns was presented at CCCamp 2007 and 24C3 when there were only ~40 hackerspaces in the world.  Here's the original Design Patterns (which are way worth reading!):
http://events.ccc.de/congress/2007/Fahrplan/attachments/1003_Building%20a%20Hacker%20Space.pdf
These patterns directly inspired the creation of the hackerspace movement.  Now that there are over 2,000 hackerspaces listed on hackerspaces.org, it's time to update the Design Patterns to include 8 years of additional collective experience -- and present them at CCCamp 2015.

FYI:
A somewhat updated version (that needs more updating) of the Hackerspace Design Patterns are listed at hackerspaces.org:
https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Design_Patterns

Do you have any observations of what works well, and what doesn't work so well at your hackerspace (or any hackerspace)?  Can you state it in a way that may be generalized so that people starting (or running) hackerspaces may benefit from your observation?  If so, please send me your observation, and I'll incorporate it into my talk.

My 30-minute talk at CCCamp 2015 will include some old and some new examples.  After the talk we will have a workshop on Hackerspace Design Patterns, and really get into what works well, and doesn't work well at hackerspaces.  I'll take notes, write it up, and post it so that everyone starting or running a hackerspace can benefit from our collective experiences.

Thanks,
Mitch.