[hackerspaces] Businesses that have launched out of hackerspaces and makeBspaces?

Josh Pritt ramgarden at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 15:44:36 CET 2015

A neat project that's coming out of Melbourne Makerspace is the Firepick Delta. It takes the 3D printer idea and takes it a step further. This machine can change out its tools from 3D print heads, to solder paste injectors, to pick and place nozzles. It allows someone to design and build a prototype device and have a little desktop machine that can not only build the circuit board and populate it with the tiny components, but it can also 3D print a nice box or case around it. So imagine a small machine on you desk that can print out remote controls, simple cell phones, or just one off prototypes of a special circuit board you designed. The main idea is for general hobbyists to be able to design and build quick circuit board prototypes and test it right from their desk instead of sending the design away to china where you must wait days or weeks to get your board. And you pay extra if you only want one or two.  And the really great part of the whole Firepick Delta project is that its goal is to cost $300!  A normal pick and place machine costs many thousands of dollars and takes up a very large portion of a room.  I'm looking forward to helping get this project going when the beta test kits come out in the next month or two.  Check it out here: http://delta.firepick.org

Sent from my iPad mini