[hackerspaces] Leadership abusing powers. Bullying. Extraordinary General Meetings.

peter phm at riseup.net
Tue Feb 24 20:54:30 CET 2015

On 23/02/15 20:16, Dan Schmidt wrote:
>>> Community> Self, otherwise why are you there?
>> This is not relevant. I wasn't stopping them from doing anything. There
>> was nothing to compromise about. If they didn't like my posts, they
>> didn't have to read them or reply.
> Actually, if they don't like your contributions they can kick you out. Seems like that did that already (it is a club house after all). Compromise applies to shared discussions with humans as much as it applies to shared tools. By your logic, if a group of people are sitting down at a table in a pub and you come along and talk until they're uncomfortable, then that's their fault and they should cover their ears or leave and find another table. They won't though, because it's their table.

In a pub, yes, you're right, it would be very bad and unacceptable
behaviour for me to do this.
And IRL at the space, there have been a few people that said 'I don't
want to talk to you' and when anyone did this, I walked away and didn't
talk to them again.

However, a pub table is a bad analogy for a mailing list. On a list, you
can choose to ignore posts or whole threads, and it doesn't prevent you
from continuing to participate in the other threads at the same time.

Another mistake you're making, (that a lot of London hackspace people
are making) is the group-think trap.
They keep say 'we'. 'We don't like'. 'Everybody thinks you're annoying'.
This is not true.
London hackspace has a lot of members, and I know for a fact that some
of them do like my contributions.

I think 99% of the hating has come from a small clique of long-time
members. Maybe when they started out, they did know everyone involved,
and they could reasonably accurately say 'we think this'. The problem
is, LHS has grown massively since then. They're still stuck in the old
mindset. They haven't yet realized that with over 1000 members, they
won't know everyone.

Compounding this problem is the fact that a lot of members don't use IRC
or even read the list.

They think cos they're not active on IRC or list that they don't exist.

So the old clique make jokes about the 'silent majority' etc.