[hackerspaces] And now for something completely different...

Vikkie Poole hsentry at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 19:52:53 CET 2015

London Hackspace (LHS) has a yard with room enough for 5 car spaces and the policy is similar. Cars can be brought in and worked on during the day and leave with the member. Occasionally there's a broken down car that stays for a couple of days but communication for those have been good and cause no problems.
The only issue we've had is with two long term vehicle projects. Both were commercial ventures which couldn't be driven off the premises:
1) A double decker bus being converted into a restaurant. It overran multiple deadlines and time extensions. The issue here was a combination of poor project management, poor communication and too many incentives for the owner to keep the bus at LHS (good location, easy access to tools and no parking fees). In the end the member removed the bus after the community collectively applied a lot of pressure.
2) A morris minor refit. It overran multiple deadlines and time extensions. The problem here seemed to be poor project management. This got hairy as the owner of the car was paying the member for the job so the member wouldn't get paid until the job was done so it was staying at the space until it was done regardless of any deadlines. In the end the trustees got in touch with the owner and had it towed.
For such projects we generally ask for:- £250 deposit (or cost of removal)- All parts ordered and obtained before arriving- A brief overview of work to be done and tools required- Date of removal agreed to by the community- Contingency plan incase it cannot be removed
We generally assume good faith in terms of hazardous waste disposal.