[hackerspaces] And now for something completely different...

Edward L Platt ed at elplatt.com
Mon Feb 23 18:44:03 CET 2015

i3 Detroit also ran into fire code. We needed to have two exits from any
room where auto work was done and would have had to renovate the wall
separating the adjacent space to be a firewall. I know that there was a
separate automotive space in Detroit called Paper Street Automotive that
seemed to have figured out how to do it.

-Ed

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Pete Prodoehl <raster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Milwaukee Makerspace has traditionally had a policy that certain
> automotive work cannot be done, due to city restrictions, most of which I
> believe has to do with hazardous waste disposal, though it might also have
> to do with us being listed as an "artist studio" with the city. Or
> something.
>
> We have had electric vehicle conversions done in the space in the past,
> but since these typically don't involve gasoline, oil, etc. they don't deal
> with the hazardous waste issues. And while we've had someone pull their car
> in for a few hours to do some "maker-related" work on it, we've got to the
> point (close to 200 members) that fitting a car in our space (even though
> the space is large) isn't much of an option.
>
> (Except for power wheels cars... we have lots of those.)
>

> Pete
>

> On 2/22/15 11:24 PM, Arclight wrote:
>
>> Question: How many other space out there let people work on their
>> cars/automotive stuff? We will open up the space for "car maintenance"
>> day from time to time. This has been really popular, as people are
>> trying to save money and be more self-sufficient. It's been a hit with
>> the ladies as well.
>>
>> We do not let people leave vehicles on the premises, as experience has
>> taught us that folks get difficult and unresponsive when you need them
>> gone.
>>
>> Anyone else doing similar things?
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Arclight
>> 23b Shop

Edward L. Platt
http://elplatt.com
http://civic.mit.edu/users/elplatt
http://i3detroit.com
@elplatt <http://twitter.com/elplatt>

This electronic mail message was sent from my desktop personal computer.
Please forgive any long-winded, overly-prosaic ramblings.