[hackerspaces] Sex Offenders at a 'Space

ITechGeek itg at itechgeek.com
Wed Feb 18 23:48:50 CET 2015

There are so many variables that depend on the specifics of the case.

The OP said the offender was being supervised for inappropriately touching
a girl.  We don't know if both the offender and the minor considered it a
consensual relationship and her parents (or someone else) and reported it
to the police.

As Wilco pointed out, under the law in most US states, his dad could have
had the same offense leveled against him.

The flip side is that could have been a plead deal the prosecutor offered
at the request of the victim's family so that she wouldn't have to
testify.  Some prosecutors have been known to offer lighter
charges/sentences because they know the lifetime registration is a scarlet
letter.

The lifetime registration and the fact the offender was prosecuted for
inappropriate touching of a minor on multiple occasions at face value would
imply he might have been trying to groom her, but w/o the actual facts of
the case it could be almost anything short of the extreme ends of how a
case like this could go.

The OP didn't even say what state were talking about, I think there are a
couple states that require lifetime sex offender registration for
conviction of all sex crimes.

-ITG (ITechGeek)
ITG at ITechGeek.Com
https://itg.nu/
GPG Keys: https://itg.nu/contact/gpg-key
Preferred GPG Key: Fingerprint: AB46B7E363DA7E04ABFA57852AA9910A DCB1191A
Google Voice: +1-703-493-0128 / Twitter: ITechGeek / Facebook:
http://fb.me/Jbwa.Net