[hackerspaces] Sex Offenders at a 'Space

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Wed Feb 18 06:43:57 CET 2015

On 17 Feb 2015, at 9:31 pm, Ben Brown <ben at generik.ca> wrote:

> Speaking from an organization's standpoint, that sounds like a liability lawsuit waiting to happen -- admitting someone who is a known recently-paroled sex offender, volunteering to 'police' them (essentially taking responsibility for their behaviour), and if something bad does happen, your directors and your space are totally screwed.

	You might be right - given the litigiousness of US culture - but you might also be opening yourself up to discrimination suits as well.
	If you are concerned about legal liability, it is a a good idea to get the advice of a lawyer. It is not good governance to make decisions based on layman’s opinions about legal issues (which doesn’t mean you should always take a lawyers advice at face value, not all lawyers are great and a lawyers job is to recognise legal risk, not to balance it against other factors).

	But if you feel you know what your membership wants, you should probably do what they want.

	I personally think refusing entrance based on a sole offence 7 years ago is an overreaction. Quite possibly you have other members who have committed thefts or crimes of violence in the last 7 years, but they are not required to inform you.

	Cheers

		David