[hackerspaces] Sex Offenders at a 'Space

Sam Ley sam.ley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 21:47:30 CET 2015

We have not dealt with this exact situation, but have dealt with some
similar (but less severe) situations. Our space has a lot of high value
equipment in it owned by members, and we do perform standard criminal
background checks.

I can say with confidence that our board would refuse membership to this
individual, but would keep the reason confidential to the board and the
individual. I believe in rehabilitation, which is why I would probably keep
the reason confidential. I also think that just because your organization
exists to serve the public that you have no obligation to accept everyone.
You need to put the needs of the group ahead of the needs of one individual.

Ultimately you (as leadership of your space) have some responsibility for
what happens there, and who you let in the door. We've kicked out drunks
and creeps, and I in no way think that hampers our community mission.
You'll have to make the same choice.

-Sam
Phoenix Asylum, Boulder, CO