[hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

Petr Baudis pasky at ucw.cz
Thu Dec 3 03:27:35 CET 2015

On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 11:24:46AM -0600, sheila miguez wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Petr Baudis <pasky at ucw.cz> wrote:
>
> >   I guess part of the misunderstanding is the seduction of lumping
> > all "undeveloped world" together - Syria and Kenya, Paraguay and
> > Indonesia, Pakistan and Afghanistan, (South) Sudan and Nepal, ...
> > In fact, the tech situation in each of these locations is AFAIK very
> > different and their economic level may not correlate well with ih.
> > Another thing is that 10 year old anecdotes / experience with some
> > of these regions may be largely invalid today.
> >

> His observations still stand for the amount of effort and drastically
> different expectations that will come in to play for people without
> experience who have good intentions.
>
> As I mentioned upthread, I volunteered some small amount of time with an
> organization in Chicago to tutor a brother and sister and also teach a
> class in "computers" to kids. They were from Somalia.

Well, you quoted my point that comparing technology awareness level of
refugees from different troubled nations [to that of Syrians] just
doesn't make any sense.

Then, you proceed to counter with an anticlimatic experience teaching
immigrants from Somalia (of all places!).

I've read the story with interest, thanks for sharing it.  But I fear
I couldn't get my original point across here.

--
				Petr Baudis
	If you have good ideas, good data and fast computers,