[hackerspaces] Post: i3 Detroit: The Making of a Hackerspace

Charlie Rysenga cpryseng at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:20:43 CEST 2015

Rachel,

As a current member of i3 i must disagree on a couple points.

1) Harassement, sexism, racism.
This is a problem for every community and at i3 I think we have gotten a
lot better since the incident that Ed mentions. During my current tenure as
a officer we have had one complaint of homophobic/sexist statements made by
a member that was reported and handled by the board. The board took action
to council the offending member as to how what they were saying was hurtful
to others and we have not had a problem from him since.

2) Cost and classism.
We currently have a thriving scholarship program. We have 4
current recipients who are all very active in our community. Two are
involved in the maintenance of i3 (one is our lead
membership coordinator and the other a warden) and the other two are just
regular people who come to make things.

I may follow up later with an expansion on these after I get off work,
Charlie

>>> http://civic.mit.edu/users/elplatt