[hackerspaces] Improve hackerspace diversity - Donate to Ada Initiative

Liz Henry lizhenry at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 21:26:50 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Al Billings <albill at openbuddha.com> wrote:

> Has the Ada Initiative addressed its previous behavior towards sex
> positive speakers like Violet Blue?

Until they do, I know lots of people that aren’t going to give them any
> money…

​Hi Al!  Yes, in fact the organization did post about that situation and
the ensuing fallout. I think the post is very clear!

http://adainitiative.org/2013/03/clarification-on-the-ada-initiatives-role-in-the-cancellation-of-violet-blues-bsides-sf-talk/using
post ​

Ada Initiative's work includes running several unconferences for women in
open tech & culture over the last three years including AdaCamps in SF, DC,
Portland, Berlin, and Bangalore. Hundreds of conferences and events have
adopted anti-harassment policies based on their template.

Here is a list of more of their work: http://adainitiative.org/what-we-do/

Glad to see you're a champion of sex positivity! Me too!  I have a long
history of radical sex positive activism. AND am an advisor for AI.

​Cheers,

Liz
​

--
Liz Henry
lizhenry at gmail.com

"Electric ladies will you sleep or will you preach?" -- Janelle Monae

"Without models, it's hard to work; without a context, difficult to
evaluate; without peers, nearly impossible to speak." -- Joanna Russ