[hackerspaces] What class sign-up and workshop management software are you using?

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 13:19:47 CET 2014

Hi Shirley and all,I hope it is OK to "join your question" and add or underline one aspect - workshop signing system for shorter term events like conferences and congresses. We are now preparing with our group (Food Hacking Base) for 31c3 in Hamburg and some more systematic approach would come handy. In our case synchronization with WikiMedia would be lovely.
At least to give partial answer based on our experience - we use the 31c3 congress MediaWiki and "Self Organized Session" form (which assures synchronization of whole system) for workshops info including time, place and subject of the workshop with max number of participants which can sign to the wikitable below (one option but they have to create account for that) or they can send an email to the coordinator/organizer of the workshop. In both cases we do manually (yes pain) a list of email contacts and get in touch with people through BCC about the workshop info and changes if they happen. This system kind of works but has these issues - if  there are any changes in the day of the workshop or few hours before people are actually quite likely not to realize the notice which we send because they are busy with lots of other stuff not having access to their mobile devices and especially not checking their emails. Alternatives to email are a question because not everyone has a mobile at the congress, similarly not everyone has Facebook or Twitter accounts ...   Anyway thanks for any info on the subject I hope I will not divert the discussion from your topic too much I think it should overlap, if I do I would create a new email tread and applogise.
Sincerely,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org