[hackerspaces] Federated library?

riot riot at c-base.org
Sat May 24 17:10:16 CEST 2014

Ohai!

On 24.05.2014 14:48, Moritz wrote:
> I am looking for a library software that can federate between different
> library instances, the vision being that everything in participating
> hackerspaces can be globally searched and, if the circulation policy of
> the item allows it, 'returned' at a different space.

I'm co-maintaining the c-base library. We're in the process of
rebuilding, restructuring and reordering. Because well, we ran out of
space for books which resulted in a slowly growing unmaintained mess.

There is currently no machinery involved at all, i'm going to change
this, soon (after we have new Shelves).

> Everygreen ILS looks great, but it doesn't support federation, only a
> centralized instance for multiple libraries.
> http://docs.evergreen-ils.org/2.6/

Actually we haven't put much thought into a software system yet. Some
spaces already developed their own, but having a distributed, well
searchable library - that would indeed be awesome.

I'll present the idea and evergreen-ils to our c-lib maintainers, i
suppose they'll like it, or throw in other alternatives, at least :)

After having a non-thorough look at hackerspaces-wiki, i've designated
this whole topic a descriptive pattern-page:
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/The_Library_Pattern

Have fun,
riot