[hackerspaces] Differences between hackerspaces and fablabs

webmind webmind at puscii.nl
Mon May 12 23:18:56 CEST 2014

On 12/05/14 21:22, Florencia Edwards wrote:
> I read this article:
> http://makezine.com/2013/05/22/the-difference-between-hackerspaces-makerspaces-techshops-and-fablabs/
>
>  But I still don't understand the difference between a hackerspace
> and a fablab, and why is there the need for both. What does the
> fablab cover that a hackerspace doesn't? I want to understand
>
> Please tell me your opinions.

In my experience (which is mainly from a European perspective),  the
main differences would be that fablabs are top-down and makerspaces
and hackerspaces bottom-up. That is, fablabs provide a service (e.a.
access to equipment and teach how to use them) where
maker&hackerspaces are orgnanised by people want to have a space to
hack/make.

Fablabs where originally initiated by MIT or with their support. They
had a concept which could be deployed, this concept got copied by
other people which kinda removed it from the MIT-grasp, but the idea
of providing a resource for people to use stayed much the same.

Makerspaces, hackerspaces, hacklabs, hackspaces, basicly all come from
a community/group who share resources (space, tools & knowledge). But
have some differences, roughly put (and I'm sure some people here will
disagree) I think you can split them up as such:

Makerspaces: Focus on making/producing things, in a way about
empowerment of individuals by taking production in your own hands

Hackerspaces: Similar to makerspaces, but not limited to making,
people also like to break stuff.

Hackspaces: quite similar to hackerspaces, but perhaps a hackspace is
more focussed on the action of 'hacking' and a hackerspace more
focussed on community. I think the difference is quite 'fresh'.

Hacklabs: more of a southern-european concept perhaps, more 'aware' of
politics and with that perhaps more of focus on it, using 'hacks' as a
method of actions and less of a goal in it itself? Interesting paper
on the difference with hackerspace would be this one:
http://peerproduction.net/issues/issue-2/peer-reviewed-papers/hacklabs-and-hackerspaces/

As many opinions as there are people on this list, but this is how I
view these concepts at the moment.

w.

- --
GPG Key: https://u2m.nl/data/webmind.asc
GPG Fingerprint: 0506 976E 2346 53B4 A628  EC33 E23D 16EE FCF1 54AE
u2m.nl SHA1: B1:E6:D0:01:7E:4B:68:7C:B0:35:EB:C8:52:85:59:7E:D4:E3:1F:AE
Puscii SHA1: 01:CF:FB:9D:1F:E1:D9:13:60:19:E3:25:60:E4:F6:05:8C:CB:2C:A3