[hackerspaces] Differences between hackerspaces and fablabs

Crawford Comeaux crawford.comeaux at gmail.com
Mon May 12 22:15:19 CEST 2014

We've spent a couple months doing research on hackerspaces/makerspaces/etc
for a few months while planning our space (intro message to the list coming
in next couple days).

One thing we've detected is what seems like a growing separation between
the terms hackerspace & makerspace (mostly in Europe, currently). The
two used to be interchangeable, but apparently makerspace is slowly
starting to be used to describe an overcommercialized hackerspace and/or a
hackerspace that's started abandoning the value of deep
learning/understanding. This is one of the reasons we're going to be
referring to ourselves as a hackerspace.

As for TechShop & fab lab, we've encountered examples of pretty
much everything that's been said in this thread. TechShop is just a
chain/brand. Fab lab is a bit broader & could refer to a brand,
biz models, and spaces based on the tools they contain.

As for a hackerspace definition...good luck on trying to nail that down. It
seems like the nature of hackerspaces is to keep spaces adaptable to meet
any needs of its users/community as the needs develop/emerge. And in that
situation, I'd say any definition has to be a pretty loose one that allows
for that.

Also, I could be talking completely out of my rear.