[hackerspaces] Visiting other *spaces

Shirley Hicks shirley at velochicdesign.com
Wed Jul 23 23:46:24 CEST 2014

If you end up heading down towards the east southeast, look up Makers Local 256 in Huntsville, Alabama's oldest and most well established maker space. Tuesday evenings are when they generally welcome visitors and the general public, They are well supported by Huntsville's engineering and tech community. They've been very helpful on my visits up the road.

On that same trip, you can hit Birmingham's Red Mountain Maker space, in Birmingham's Woodlawn neighborhood. We're 10 months in our space, past two years as a working group, and transitioning, bit by bit, into a reasonably well established non-profit makerspace. Sunday > Thursday evenings are interesting times to stop by, with some advance warning. With arrangement, I can also meet you at the space during the day.

If you wish to continue down I-65 to the Gulf Coast, Foomatic in Montgomery, and the Mobile Makerspace are at similar points of growth.

Shirley Hicks
Board member-at-large
Red Mountain Makers
5502 1st Avenue North